Slide 1


Spider FAQ
  • Frequently Asked Question
  • 1. What registrations can I use on my vehicle?

    What registrations can I use on my vehicle ?

    You must not make your vehicle appear younger than it is. For example, a vehicleregistered in 2000 (W Reg) could not have an Y (2001) Registration Plate fitted. It is however permissible to use an older registration number.

  • 2. What does the word 'Nominee' mean?

    What does the word "Nominee" mean?

    The Nominee is the name which is added to a retention certificate when purchasing a personal number plate. The nominee name must match exactly the name that appears in the V5 log book of the vehicle you are assigning your registration number to If you are buying a plate to be fitted to a company vehicle which is registered in a company's name, please supply the name of the company as the Nominee.

  • 3. What does 'on retention' mean?

    What does "on retention" mean?'

    If you purchase a vehicle registration number from UK Private Plates we can supply a certificate of entitlement or transfer the number onto your vehicle for you. If you request the registration on retention it will be supplied on either a:

    • A Certificate of Entitlement
      Unissued registration plates are supplied with a certificate of entitlement, or V750.. This shows the purchasers details and their selected registration number.
    • Retention Certificate The retention certificate, or V778, is a document which is issued by the DVLA when a registration number is taken off a vehicle but which is being kept by the owner or " held on retention", pending future re-assignment to a-n-other vehicle. A retention certificate is  similar to a certificate of entitlement and is used in  the same way.
  • 4. What is included in the purchase price?

    What is included in the purchase price ?

    All UKPrivateplates prices exclude the DVLA assignment fee and the VAT if applicable. We do include a new set of DVLA standard number plates with your order so that you can get that number on as soon as possible.

  • 5. How do I change my current registration for my new one?

    How do I change my current registration for my new one ?

    You will need to apply  by post or by visiting your local DVLA office in person taking with you the following:

    Certificate of Entitlement or Retention Certificate, V5 logbook, a photocopy of your tax disc and your MOT certificate( if applicable) . Detailed instructions are provided on the reverse of the certificates.

    You must also advise y our insurance company of the change in the registration number details.

  • 6. What does "dateless registration" mean?

    What does dateless registration mean ?

    Dateless registrations simply means that it is not an age related number since it does not contain a year and can comprise of any numbers of digits of a given limit. A dateless registration can be applied to a vehicle of any age.

  • 7. What does suffix registration mean ?

    What does suffix registration mean ?

    A Suffix registration number is an older registration number whereby the age related component is depicted at the end of the number e.g. OKW 451X (1981)

  • 8. What does prefix registration mean ?

    What does prefix registration mean ?

    A Prefix registration number contains the a letter at the beginning of the registration number which depicts the year of the vehicle e.g. A125 XDT (1983)

  • 9. For how long can my number be held on retention ?

    For how long can my number be held on retention ?

    Your personalised number can be held on retention for up to 12 months. You then have the facility to extend that period for an additional fee.

  • 10. Can I keep my personal number plate if I sell my car?

    Can I keep my personal number plate if I sell my car?


    Simply complete DVLA form V778/1  to put your personal number plate onto a retention certificate. You may then transfer the number to a new vehicle at a later date. Remember that you will need to renew the retention certificate every 12 months.

    You may also transfer the number from one vehicle to another yy using  DVLA form V317 and paying a small transfer fee

  • 11. Who are the DVLA?

    Who are the DVLA?

    The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is the goverment office who overseas and maintains the issue, sale,, retention and transfe of registrations within the UK as well as being responsible for a host of other driving related services.

  • 12. Where is my nearest DVLA office?

    Where is my nearest DVLA office?

    To find your nearest DVLA local offic please call this number: 0870 850 007

    If your question has not been answered here or you have an enquiry please feel free to contact us at for a speedy response or call 07553-358217